Without a doubt you have a purpose in this world. You may not have been a "planned pregnancy," meaning the timing in which you were conceived was by happenstance. But once you arrived rest assured you came with a plan already intact! A plan so well thought out only God Himself could have designed it. So, how do you discover it? How do you truly know your purpose in life? You will find that the answer is simpler than you think.
What are you called to do? We have basically been asked that question ever since we were kids. However, we heard it in the form of, “What do you want to be when you grow up? Then you grow up, graduate from high school, college, and it becomes, “Now what are you going to do with your life? Then as the years creep by we realize that the term, time flies, is not just a cliché. It’s reality! Time waits on no one. It’s like a ship. It will sail with, or without you. It’s at that point we begin to question our self, “What have I truly accomplished with my life?”
You may have a great job making “good money,” but can you really say that you are passionately living in what you were called to do? Some can say yes, while many will say, I don’t have a clue what I am “called” to do.
What does it mean—being called?
Call: to summon to a particular activity, employment, or office; to elicit a response from; to require, available for use.
You may not realize it or learned how to tap into it, but you were born with the knowledge and wherewithal to know and carry out your calling.
According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness,
through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 2 Peter 1:3
God downloaded into our DNA all that we need to live the kind of life we were meant to live. With that being said, what are you called to do? What is God requiring of you? The question is difficult only when you don’t know the answer, but let me assure you, you have an unction (an anointing, power, knowledge from God) and you know ALL things (1 John 2:20).
There is a specific assignment, position, or office that you were created, or called for. And until you answer, you will always walk around with that sense of incompletion, anxiousness, or unhappiness due to your lack of response. If you want to know your purpose in life, it’s as simple as this:
1. Ask God: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Matthew 7:7
Asking is a simple step that we often miss. If you want something you ask for it, right? “God, what is my purpose?” Period. God will reveal the answer to you!
I recall a time I wouldn’t dare ask God what my purpose was. I was too afraid that He would call me to some boring thing I didn’t want to do. How silly is that? God who sees the end from the beginning knows life’s outcome so it behooves us to ask Him.
2. Be open and embrace whatever the call is: 1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
I admit, I still struggle with accepting the full scope of my calling, which is assisting women in giving birth to their dreams. I struggle because the responsibility, accountability, and sometimes capability seems overwhelming at times. It makes me want to drop everything and run, but then that would make me a coward and a coward I am not! I have the Creator of the universe backing and equipping me, because He has called me. And He will do the same for you! He will exalt, raise, and promote you for your willingness to humble yourself to His will.
3. Never be led by money: 1 Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
Your money potential should never drive your decision when seeking your calling. Not to say there are not millions or even billions to be made in what you are called to, but your trust should always, always be in God. He is not against wealth, but He is challenging the rich to not become so high minded that they trust in money’s ability to provide greater than His ability.
Money can be here today and gone tomorrow. A job can be here today and gone tomorrow, but when you trust in God’s resources you will find that it is an unlimited supply.
4. Be Led by God: Romans 8:14. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
True joy is staying in the flow of what your assignment, or in some cases, your next assignment is. Life evolves. What worked yesterday may be out of order tomorrow. That’s why it is important to stay tuned in to that voice on the inside of us that we often refer to as the ‘gut’, but in reality it’s the spirit of God leading us. NOTE: You learn to be led or directed by God by spending time conversing with Him through prayer and bible reading. The more time you spend with Him the clearer His voice becomes.
5. Be patient and trust God: Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding (Proverbs 3:5). Trusting in what you can’t see can be extremely difficult at times. Human nature prefers tangibility. Something we can see, feel, and touch, but that is not always the case when you are trusting God. There are times where you must put aside your idea of how you think it should go. In other words, lean not unto your own understanding. Be thoroughly convinced that your Creator loves you, and that He is not under any circumstances trying to hide your purpose in life from you! He wants you to know and live it more than you do! Be patient and trust that the answer will come.
Bonus: Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Don’t be afraid that you will miss the mark. You don’t know it all, and that’s ok. If your heart is pure before God and you are truly after His plan He will guide your footsteps even when they seem to go astray.
Stay teachable and open to God’s direction. Don’t ignore those gut instincts, follow that peace you sense on the inside for it will guide you into the perfect will of God for your life, and before you know it you will be living the life God designed especially for you!